Wednesday 12 August 2015

Is Z Nation a challenge for The Walking Dead?

I've just seen the latest episode of Z Nation and I am not sure if it could prove to be a serious challenge for The Walking Dead; even if the whole series is based on a story line in The Walking Dead. Then again, I might not be giving it much of a chance to really show us what it is all about; considering that I've only seen the first four episodes of S1.

Even so, I think that there is an even better series of books in that genre that would do well if translated to the small screen. It's a series called Living With the Dead by Joshua Guess. The books are written in blog format, which is a step away from the standard novel format. The author made himself, his friends and family the central characters in the series in order I suppose to give it a more story a more visceral impact, or an empathetic feelings from the readers, as well as drawing them in to the lives of the characters. The characters in the series are not waiting for someone to save them, but decides to save themselves and any others who was willing to try to rebuild some form of society in the midst of the apocalypse.

As in any good books and even bad ones, there are betrayals, near starvation, extraordinary feats of bravery, love, friendship and obviously death. It also has the standard format of seeing people for exactly who they are as they respond to the nightmarish situation that they found themselves in. To me, I think this series and its spin off books are one of the better stories that I have read in this genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment